Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Introduction

First of all, I will start off by writing a few things about myself and explain why I have ended up in the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme. Ever since I was in junior high I have had an interest in Japanese culture. Like many, it all started with watching anime (Japanese animated cartoons), but eventually it developed into so much more. By the time I was ready to start college, I knew I wanted to choose somewhere where I could learn the Japanese language. I choose the University of Minnesota. I didn't plan on majoring in Japanese, but one thing lead to another, and I realized that Japan was my passion. I ended up getting a Bachelor's degree in Asian Languages and Literature, specifically in Japanese literature, culture, and media. In college, I had learned about the JET Programme. I knew that it was the perfect next step for me. The reasons being that:
1) Although I studied Japanese in college, I still was not fluent, and I figured that spending a long time in Japan would be my best bet when it came to learning the language.
2) I plan on becoming a teacher some day, and JET would give me great experience.
3) I love Japan in general and want to spend time there.
4) I wanted a break rather going straight to graduate school and needed a way to make money.
5) I wanted to help diversify Japan and give the Japanese a good impression of Americans.

After the long application process, I got the email notifying me that I recieved the opportunity to interview in Chicago (although I went to school in Minneapolis, my hometown is actually pretty close to Chicago). The interview was terrifying, and I left not knowing whether or not I would be accepted. Low and behold, several weeks later, I recieved the email notifying me that I had been accepted! After sending in all of the additional paperwork, I now sit here anxiously awaiting my departure in about two months. It's a strange feeling not knowing one second if you are going to be accepted or not and then realizing you are leaving after a few short months the next second.

I decided to blog about my experiences in the JET Programme because I figured it could help others learn more about the program and because I have discovered that it is useful and enjoyable to be able to access my thoughts/feelings/experiences later in life. So to all those who read this, please enjoy!

http://www.jetprogramme.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment