Sunday, September 15, 2013

Year Two

I am currently in my second year of the JET Programme. This change took place on July 29th, marking one year since I came to Japan. I still am not used to calling myself a “second-year JET.” I must say though, I am in love with Japan. Sometimes I get annoyed with things or homesick, but overall I really feel like I am where I want to be. I still often get feelings of amazement and excitement that I am living here. There is still so much more I want to see and do while I’m here, too. I feel like my Japanese and tea ceremony skills are developing, I am becoming interested in new aspects of Japanese culture, for example, Osaka-ben (dialect) and Japanese dramas, I enjoy teaching the students, I am making more and more friends, and I have so much fun every weekend! I never get bored. I have a nice weekly routine, and I feel like I am melding into the community

I always knew I wanted to stay for two years, but I didn’t consider staying for longer than that for a few reasons. First of all, I still want to go to graduate school, and I feel like I shouldn’t put it off too long. I know that that will be a whole other adventure, and I am excited for it (especially if I achieve my dream of studying in London)! Also, after two years, I have to start paying taxes again haha! When I was still with Travis, I had the worry of keeping him waiting, but now instead I’m  worried that if I stay here for too long, I will be too old by the time I’m ready to settle down, and I will be alone forever.  

Right now, though, I feel like I would like to stay longer. I now say that I would for sure be done after a third year (and I really do believe that), but that’s what I thought about doing only two years, and now (with the choice of re-contracting only about 3 short months ahead), I feel like there is a good chance I will sign up for a third year…we shall see. I could see a third year being kind of long, especially if a lot of my friends decide to leave after two years. Plus I will have to change schools after two years, but these are the plusses: 1) Even if friends do leave, I am making new friends all the time. Although I would miss them, I don’t think I’d be lonely. 2) There are new JETs coming each year. I like meeting them. In fact, there is a new JET in my town now as I mentioned two posts ago, and he is really cool! It’s really nice having him in my town, and it has changed the way my town feels a bit…in a good way! It feels more friendly and inviting because he is here! 3) Both of my predecessors left after two years, and both of them (well, especially one) seemed to have a lot of regret about leaving after only two years. 4) It’s another year of a stable job! 5) My visa lasts three years. 6) Although I have to switch schools and it would be sad, it might also be kind of fun to meet new teachers and students. 6) Pay raise…which means more saving for school (or more partying/traveling/shopping :P) 7) Like I said, I’m loving life here. It just feels good right now. I want to keep experiencing it and get better at Japanese. So, we’ll see what I decide!!

As I mentioned, new JETs have arrived. I am pleased to say that I think they are a good group! No weirdos from what I can tell haha! I went to meet them all in Rinku Town for dinner during their language seminar. I am looking forward to getting to know them better. I hope the year difference doesn’t form a barrier between us. Seeing their facebook statuses and whatnot really brings me back to when I first arrived here. In some ways it seems like such a long time ago, but sometimes it feels so short. I feel like I have grown a lot and have become stronger and more independent. I’ve had to face some difficult things while I’ve been here. I have learned some about myself. I am not the same person I was one year ago. There are some things I’ve realized about myself that I don’t like (and things I do like), but now that they have come to my attention through living here on my own, I am working on changing them. I think that’s why I feel so happy and content here. I feel like every day I am making progress. When I think about all of this, one year seems like a really long time ago, but certain events seem like they were just the other day. My favorite band has provided my with a life motto that I would like to live by, “Run free!” I feel like I am living life freely and the way that it should be lived. I want to thank everyone who has helped me get here and shaped me into becoming who I am today. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t have worked and tried so hard to get here and achieve my dreams.

The new JETs with some of the old. :)
Walking this road in the early morning to my
apartment is always such a relief after staying
out all night. The air is cool, the town is quiet,
and it's a place I can relax. I'm home.
It's beginning to feel like home.

Just my regular commute to work on a hot summer morning.

Feeling good about life and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment