Monday, September 22, 2014

12 Things I'd Miss about Japan

As of now, I’m still not sure where my life will take me. Sometimes I wonder if I will live in Japan forever or if I will move back home…or elsewhere. I’m sure I’ve done my share fair of complaining in past posts about things that annoy me in Japan and things I miss about America. Believe me, there are still things that really frustrate me about living here. However, today I want to share with you something I think about quite often. What would I miss about Japan if I left? From my first day living here, I told myself not to take this experience for granted because who knows how long it’ll last? I’ve made it a point to appreciate certain things about living here. I decided to write a post about this topic the other day when my friend and I had a discussion about things we really like about Japan. Some things are quite obvious but others not so much.

This post is going to be set up as a list (not in any particular order).

1)      Oi Ocha: Oi Ocha is a brand of Japanese green tea that I drink every single day. It has basically become my water. I could make Japanese green tea back in the states, but it will never be Oi Ocha. I would miss having such easy access to green tea in general.


*Image from Google.
2)      Konbini: Japanese convenience stores bring a whole new level to the meaning “convenient.” You can do anything at a convenience store in Japan: pay your bills, buy concert tickets, mail things, print pictures, and of course buy all sorts of delicious things. Oh onigiri…I will miss you so much if I leave Japan. Also, konbini are EVERYWHERE! They’re like Starbucks in a big city. Usually you can see at least two from wherever you’re standing.

*Image from Google.
3)      Hanami (and flowers in general): It doesn’t matter what time of year it is or where you are living in Japan, there is always something in bloom, and the Japanese make it a point to really enjoy it whether it’s plum blossoms, cherry blossom, hydrangea, and so on. I haven’t heard of other countries celebrating the blooming of flowers in the same way that Japan does. Sitting under delicate cherry flowers in mild whether surrounded by the laugher of friends and feeling the warmth of alcohol is something I never want to give up. Houses, stores, and streets are lined with flowers everywhere you go. My appreciation for flowers has at least quadrupled since moving to Japan. Which brings me to my next point…


4)      Fish!: Before moving to Japan, I probably knew like 5 kinds of fish haha! Fish was fish. I still have a lot to learn, but I can now appreciate many varieties and flavors of fish. The funny part is that I don’t know the English words for probably more than half of the kinds of fish I eat. And dear sweet jesus, if I ever left Japan, I would, and I kid you not, go through serious sushi withdraws. I give America credit for their creativity with sushi, but no sushi in America can compare to the taste, freshness, quality, and pure talent that goes into sushi made by a legit chef in Japan. Do you know how often I eat sushi? I’d say probably at least twice a week. I don’t always go out to eat it. I simply pick up a box at the supermarket on my way home. Supermarket sushi’s quality is still very legit in my opinion, and sushi in Japan is very affordable!

Maguro Ittetsu in Kyobashi.
5)      Nomihoudai: aka “All you can drink.” All you can drink menus are offered at almost every pub you go to in Japan. You pay around $15-$20 for two hours of all you can drink booze. That’s a lot of booze! Drinking is Japan is easy and inexpensive…and you can drink basically anywhere! Parks, streets, on trains, etc. Definitely would miss that.


6)      Politeness and Customer Service: I remember how in America I would sometimes get agitated with rude staff at restaurants, on the phone, or in stores and whatnot. You could obviously tell they didn’t give a crap about you, and they were just there to get paid by doing the minimum. Heck, I remember being downright scared by American airport staff yelling at the passengers when I came home two winters ago. That way doesn’t fly here in Japan. If you are in any sort of service position, it is your job…no…your duty to be as a polite and accommodating to the patron as humanly possible. That mindset often carries over to everyday life as well. Sure, there are some weird things that aren’t taboo here like they are in America, for example body weight, but in general, you will never have people say anything rude to you or be too direct.  Everywhere you go, you can expect top service. It’s wonderful.

7)      The Healthcare System. There are things I don’t like about universal healthcare they’re pushing in America, but I must admit, Japan does it well. It is incredibly quick and convenient when you have a medical issue. There are multiple doctors’ offices for every part of your body in every town you visit. Is your throat sore? Do your eyes hurt? Just stop in at the local office on your way home. No appointment needed. Are you traveling out of town? It doesn’t matter. Every doctor is your doctor. All you have to do is show your insurance card, and you will receive a diagnosis and whatever medication you need right away. The pharmacy is always conveniently next door or in the doctor’s office itself. Did I mention it’s cheap? Think about $15 or $20 for the visit and the medicine together.

8)      Trains: Of course I miss having my own car and the freedom to go wherever I want whenever I want, but in Japan (and America, too), having a car is super expensive and in a big city, inconvenient. You can get most places in Japan by train without ever needing to use a car. It’s cheaper than using a car, and it’s better for the environment. You don’t have to worry about directions or losing your way, because you just type station A and B into your phone, and it explains clearly what trains to ride, how much it’ll cost, and exactly what time you will arrive to where you want to go. Delays are not that common in Japan. Trains are clean and run like clockwork. You never have to worry about drinking and driving. If only trains ran all through the night, I would be perfectly satisfied with never owning a car here.

*Image from Google.
9)      Anime and Manga: You will never get weird looks or be criticized if you are an adult reading a comic book in public. It’s normal.

*Image from Google.
10)   Speaking Japanese: I enjoy speaking Japanese. I’ve worked hard at it, and I think it’s fun. My ability to speak Japanese makes me feel cool and smart. If leaving Japan meant that my Japanese level would decline, I would be pretty depressed. Even when I go home for short winter breaks, I feel frustrated that I can’t use my Japanese. I feel that it is now a part of me that I don’t ever want to lose.


11)   Being Special: This can kind of go both ways. Before you give me a speech about how you are special no matter what blah blah blah, just hear me out. In Japan, if you are a non-Asian foreigner, you are basically celebrity status. There are things I completely hate about being a foreigner in Japan (see my “Being Foreign in Japan” post), but there are definitely upsides I would miss if I ever left here. For example, I would miss getting compliments for things I never cared about or didn’t have to try at like having long eyelashes, pale skin, gold hair, and blue eyes. Being able to get away with things or getting special treatment just for being foreign is nice too. I like that in a Japanese society where people are expected to work overtime for no extra pay, I am allowed to leave work at my contracted time without any opposition. I like that I can get special deals or free entrance to places just for being foreign.

12)   People and Places: This is pretty obvious and true of any place you go or visit, but I still feel the need to mention it. I have formed so many important relationships here. There are people here who I love, and as it feels with my family and friends in America, it would hurt my heart to be apart from them. There are also places in Japan that I feel home, places that I would long for if I couldn’t go to them.



That’s all I can think of for now. If I ever feel motivated to add more (which I’m sure there are things I’m forgetting), I will do so.

4 comments:

  1. 1. the trains
    2. the layered feeling of cities
    3. kushi katsu
    4. personal book covers

    ReplyDelete
  2. we sell oi ocha in SF by the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's cool! Just like in the supermarket and whatnot? The sold in at a Korean market in St Paul and an Asian market in the Chicago area, but it was hard to come by. I couldn't find it in regular stores.

      Delete
  3. every walgreens in sf. i drink it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete