Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Ikebana

This is a short but sweet little post. I just want to tell you that I tried ikebana the other day. Ikebana is the Japanese are of flower arranging. I’ve practiced sadou (Japanese Tea Ceremony) for around 6 years, but have never tried ikebana despite being interested in it. Living in Japan, it’s nice when I can experience new things and keep myself from getting too used to culture.


My coworker practices ikebana in town every week, so she invited me to try. I was instructed by a ninety-something year old woman! I literally had no idea what I was doing, but I had fun trimming the flowers, bending them, and arranging them. Ikebana is an expensive hobby, and since I already practice sadou, I don’t really have the time or money to participate regularly. However, I enjoyed the experience and would like to try again if the opportunity presents itself.

My first ikebana.

No comments:

Post a Comment