Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Uji, Kyoto

This past summer vacation, money was pretty tight, so I couldn’t do much traveling. However, I did enjoy many fun events like BBQ’s, fireworks, dates, and concerts. There was one place, though, that I had wanted to visit for a while: Uji, Kyoto.

My main reason for wanting to visit there is my love for Japanese powdered green tea (matcha in Japanese). Matcha is famous in Uji. Also, Uji, is a rural, beautiful, and historical place in Kyoto. To be honest, it really isn’t that far from where I live, only about an hour and a half by train. I had just never had a good time to go, so I made it a point to go during the summer. Alone.

In fact, I wanted to go alone. Of course traveling with people is fun, but when I travel alone in Japan, it brings me back to my first time I came here. I came for three weeks one summer on my own which was perhaps the most eye opening and rewarding experience of my life. By traveling alone every now and then, I feel my love and wonder for Japan come back since living here has made me jaded.
When I got there, I was immediately taken aback by the rural atmosphere. The buildings were low which made the sky feel so vast and open. You are immediately greeted by Uji River as well as the famous Uji Bridge.

Uji River and Bridge.
I decided to get lunch first. I researched what places were popular to eat at before going. I decided on a famous tea shop called Itokyuemon (伊藤久右衛門) that also had a café that was famous for serving matcha soba noodles. I got a lunch set that included the noodles, rice, Japanese pickles, and a small matcha jelly dessert. The noodles didn’t have that strong of a matcha flavor, actually, so I think it would be easy to eat for anyone. The noodles were just very green. It was a pleasant lunch.

Itokyuemon.
Matcha soba set.
After eating, I went to “The Tale of Genji” museum. “The Tale of Genji” is a very famous Japanese historical piece of literature. I actually had to read it as part of my studies in college since I was a Japanese major. The museum itself was quite small but well kept. I think it would only appeal to those who have read the story, though.

Statue of Murasaki Shikibu, the author of The Tale of Genji.
After spending about an hour in the museum, I walked the path to Byodo-in, a World Heritage site and the temple on the back of the 10-yen coin. The streets leading up to the temple were gorgeous and lined with fancy tea shops and stylish cafes specializing in matcha flavored items. I was looking forward to seeing this temple the most because it looked so beautiful on the internet. It definitely was! It had been a while since I went to see a temple, so I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Ginkakuji because of how it floated on the water. Some of the highlights are of course the Buddha inside which you must pay extra to see and the phoenix statues on the top of the temple.

Fancy tea shop.
Byodo-in.
On my way back to the station, I treated myself to one more matcha item which happened to be ice cream. I kid you not, this was by far the best matcha ice cream I’ve ever had! It had a roughness to it because of the powdered matcha in it, and the taste was very strong; just how I like my matcha.
I also noticed at the different shops and in the vending machines, Uji tea was being sold in commercial bottles which peaked my curiosity, so I bought it. Uji tea is sencha (a type of green tea) that is made in Uji. It has a very light and delicious flavor. I kind of wish I bought a couple bottles to take home. In any case, I made sure to buy a small souvenir for my boyfriend’s family. I bought matcha cappuccino mix which was advertised as being one of the most popular souvenirs. Apparently it was good according to his mother lol.

The best matcha ice cream.
Uji tea.
Anyway, I definitely recommend Uji to those interested in tea or in Japanese history. I went in the summer, but I’m planning to go back this fall as a group day trip because it’s supposed to be breathtaking with the fall foliage. Perhaps I will write a short post in the future showing you some pictures. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment