Sunday, October 25, 2015

Tea Ceremony Performance 2

Tea Ceremony Performance October, 2015
I’ve been studying the Japanese tea ceremony for quite a while now. Maybe about 7 years? At the current place I study, we took part in an official tea ceremony about two years ago. Last month, was my second official tea ceremony in a temple (Shoujoukein 清浄華院) in Kyoto.

Chaire (by Koemon) and shifuku (shoui kanou by Wakisaku).
It’s very nerve-wracking, expensive, and painful due to sitting seiza (the formal Japanese way of sitting with your legs folded underneath your body). This time I actually got lots of bruises, redness, swelling, and nerve damage from sitting seiza so much.

Ouch...the bruise on my right foot was killer.
I of course wore a kimono, but to be honest, it’s kind of a pain in the butt. Lol. Don’t get me wrong. I love Japanese tea ceremony and enjoy practicing it every week! It’s so relaxing and delicious! I’m just not a fan of the performances…


I just want to say, however, that I thought I did a pretty decent job, remembered my steps, and tried my hardest. I mostly participated to honor my teacher, but I must admit, there was a point where I was standing on the balcony of the temple in my kimono, appreciating the perfect weather and the smell of burning incense, looking over a Japanese cemetery with mountains in the background, and thought to myself, “Wow. I’m in Japan.”

Nice day for a tea ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment