Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Shinsekai

Hey readers, I’ve been busy lately with work and life, so I haven’t been posting as much. I have some long posts in the making, but I thought I’d write a couple short ones that I can get up real quick to tie you over…assuming you enjoy reading my blog lol.

Today’s topic is Shinsekai in Osaka. I’ve written about this place before once or twice in different posts. However, during Silver Week I went there again and remembered how much I love it. It’s definitely in my top 3 places in Osaka. It’s not that big of an area, and is kind of considered to be a slum, but it has a really unique and old feel to it. Also, it’s home to my favorite Japanese food, kushikatsu.


When I went during Silver Week, I first made a stop at Spa World, the biggest onsen place in Osaka. One whole floor is women’s baths, one is men’s, and another floor is a water park! You can also stay the night, eat, play, etc. I actually prefer smaller, quieter onsen, but with the huge size and European and Asian themed baths, there’s a kind of novelty to it. It’s fun to go to once ever couple years I think.


Next I finally went to the top of Tsutenkaku for the first time. It’s the symbol tower of Osaka. It’s actually not that tall, but back in the day, it was the tallest structure in Osaka and holds a place in many Osakan’s hearts. You can get a really nice view of Abeno Harukas, the tallest building in Japan.

That tower is Tsutenkaku.
Abeno Harukas
Last, a trip to Shinsekai wouldn’t be complete without eating kushikastsu! The most famous place to eat kushikatsu in Shinsekai is at a shop called Daruma. There are several branches all in walking distance of each other. Since it was Silver Week, though, the lines were out the door, so I decided to go into a different, but still delicious kushikatsu place called Ebisu. To this day, my favorite kushikatsu place is still Kushikatsu Doteytaki in Kyobashi. I think the original branch is in Shinsekai, though, so I’ll have to look in to it!



Besides eating, drinking, and going to Spa World and Tsutenkaku, there is also a zoo and new shopping mall in Shinsekai. However, the thing I like the most about Shinsekai is the atmosphere; the old Osaka feel, the lights, the lit up narrow streets lined with pubs. It’s underrated, so if you have a chance to come to Osaka, check it out!



No comments:

Post a Comment