Thursday, December 17, 2015

Strange Fall

This year has been really warm… It’s good for my gas and electric bills (I’ve only had to turn on my heat like once so far this year), but I love fall, winter and cold weather, and it seems like this year, it’s just not going to come. As I’m writing this, it’s December 17th, and it’s 59˚F (15˚C). Sigh…

So what is this post about? Well basically, it’s about fall leaf viewing. Every year in Japan, people (including myself) really look forward to the changing leaves. Same as with the cherry blossoms, there are many events centered around it, and people travel to specific places like Kyoto or anywhere that has particularly beautiful fall foliage to see the extravagant colors. There is always a forecast for the changing leaves, so people plan their excursions around this forecast. Compared to my hometown, Chicago, leaves change much later in Japan, usually around mid to late November. After checking the forecast, I made plans to go see the fall leaves with my boyfriend, something I was really looking forward to…

Well, like I said, this year the weather has been whacky, and the forecast ended up being wrong. On Nov. 22nd, my boyfriend and I headed to Mino, Osaka, a famous place for fall colors. If you look back a bit, I have a post about a previous trip to Mino when the leaves were absolutely breathtaking! I’ll look for the link: http://stephanieinjapan.blogspot.jp/2013/11/kouyou.html

Unfortunately, the leaves were hardly changed. At first I was pretty disappointed, but it was Shinya’s first time to go there, so he was impressed anyway, and there is more to see and do besides just see leaves. It’s a decently long hike in beautiful nature, and there’s a gorgeous waterfall at the end. People go on this hike during all seasons. Mino has lots of specialties like fried maple leaves, Mino beer, and yuzu products. We enjoyed eating lots of different little yum yums on the way. It may not have been to perfect fall leaf experience, but I still had a nice time. We even went to my favorite nabe place for dinner after which was nice.

Yuzu croquettes.
We found some leaves!
and some more!
Taiyaki.
Picture of the day.
Mino Falls.
Mmm...nabe!
Round two: Since the leaves weren’t changed that weekend, I thought for sure by the next week they would be. I already had a plan to go to Kyoto with some of my English club members, so I thought that it would be a perfect second chance to see the beautiful leaves, since Uji, Kyoto is also know for pretty fall foliage. Whelp, again, I wasn’t so lucky. The dang leaves this year just won’t change!! 

Like I said, it’s the 17th of December now, and the leaves are just finally beginning to change, about a month late. However, it’s pretty sporadic because some leaves did change early and some didn’t.

Again, despite not being able to see the leaves, I still had a fabulous time in Uji. I ate delicious vegetarian food, saw temples and a museum, enjoyed the scenery, and of course had my fill of Uji green tea products. It’s such a nice area and was fun to go with people this time around. Click this link to see my previous trip to Uji: http://stephanieinjapan.blogspot.jp/2015/10/uji-kyoto.html So I guess what I’m getting at is that even when you expect something, you can still enjoy yourself with a change of perspective when things don’t go to plan.

Pretty scenery.
Vegetarian yum yums!\
Matcha soba.
Byodo-in reflection on the pond.
Found some changing leaves!
English club.
The best ice cream in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment