Saturday, April 16, 2016

Sakura Date

Hanami season has come and gone. This year I was able to go to three different hanami parties! They were all super fun! Good food, good drinks, good company, and good atmosphere.

I don’t think I wrote about my hanami date with my boyfriend last year, so I’ll write about it this year! Last year we went to the Japan Mint Bureau at night to see the illuminated sakura, so this year we thought we’d go on a day date.

Although I have been there before during hanami season, I think one of the most beautiful places to see sakura is The Path of Philosophy in Kyoto. I wanted to take Shinya there. So, on a perfect Wednesday during my spring break, we went. He’s usually off on Wednesdays, so it worked out. The weather was absolutely gorgeous! Not too hot, not too cold, and the sky was clear as could be!

We arrived at Keage station and from there, made our way to the path. Since this area is pretty rural, it felt super refreshing. It was quiet, and we could hear the birds chirping and the water trickle in the canal. The sun was shining, there was a cool breeze, and the air smelled and felt fresh. I felt so light-spirited.



To be honest, we were a little early to see the sakura in full bloom. Some trees were fully bloomed, but others weren’t. I thought it was beautiful nonetheless. The plus side of it being early was that there weren’t many people. Last time I went during hanami season, it was so busy I could hardly walk!

Full bloom.
We made our way up the path stopping by a couple temples. We also took breaks to sit and take in the atmosphere, eat some street food, and watch the stray cats. The finale was Ginkakuji aka The Silver Pavilion, which is a famous temple in Kyoto and contrary to the name, not silver at all lol.

Stray cats.
Potatornado!
Ginkakuji.

After spending a couple hours exploring the path and temples, we went to an izakaya for dinner and ended the night with a couple drinks and Yu Yu Hakusho at home. It was such a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment