Thursday, July 18, 2013

Field Trip

I was lucky enough to be invited on the first graders’ field trip (first grade of junior high school, that is). My favorite thing about my job is interacting with the students. They are so funny, cute, and nice (mostly)! They all think of me as a superstar which is a great ego booster. Haha! This was my first time going on a trip with the students. This is how it went…

We left the school a little after 8:00 am. In Japan, they don’t have school buses so we rode in huge charter buses! On the way, students played games and sang songs. I got to join in as well. The first part of the trip was going to a museum in Suita, Osaka. That was my favorite part. Then, we got back in the buses and headed over to Ikeda, Osaka to go to an “athletic park.” Basically, it was a hiking path in the mountains with about 30 different obstacles on the trail. It was pretty hot outside. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but the students seemed to enjoy it, and I enjoyed watching them. Before doing the hike, we had a picnic. I sat with three girls and chatted. I particularly like the 1st graders this year. They are a good bunch.

It was a long day, but I enjoyed it! After the trip, the group of us teachers who went on the field trip went to this amazing restaurant in the middle of nowhere. It’s called Mukune-Tei. They make their own sake there. It may have been the most delicious Japanese meal I’ve had! It was high class, and I got to try a couple types of their homemade sake.

First course (Japanese pickles, aged tofu, and fried chicken).
Second course: Soumen. You dip the noodles in sauce.
 The sauce isn't in the picture though.
Third course: Tofu with sticky potato and octopus on top.
You cook it up on this grill.
Fourth course: Sake flavored jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment