Friday, June 12, 2015

Onsen (and Tattoos)

I’ve probably talked about or explained Japanese onsen somewhere in one of my posts before, but I don’t recall ever writing a post dedicated to them. For those of you who don’t know, onsen are Japanese hot springs. There are other places called sentou which are public bath-houses. Sometimes it’s confusing as to which is which, but from what I’ve been able to gather, onsen can either be out in nature (basically like a naturally occurring hole in the ground with hot spring water in it) or they can be in the form of like a sentou, but the water used is actually natural hot spring water pumped from the ground. I think sentou just uses regular water or water they’ve added minerals to. Sometimes plain old sentou are not as aesthetically appealing because they are seen as more of just a place to hurry up and get clean.

Bathing is a Japanese custom unlike other counties. Except for in the really hot sweaty months of summer, Japanese people take a bath every night before going to bed (showering in the morning is not a thing really). The bath is filled up in the evening, and each family member uses the same bathwater. Sounds gross right? Actually it’s ok because before getting into the water, you must take a shower outside the bath first. Japanese bathrooms are set up where the entire room is able to get wet, and there is a drain the middle of the floor. The bathtub itself has a cover to keep the water warm. Shower heads are handheld, and Japanese traditionally sit on a small plastic bench while lathering themselves and showering of in the middle of the bathroom. Some Japanese baths are even electronically controlled so you can press buttons to set the temperature and volume of the water that will pour into your tub.

Typical Japanese bathroom (image from Google images
http://imgbuddy.com/traditional-japanese-bathroom-layout.asp).
From this traditional style of bathing, plus the fact that Japan is so volcanically active, onsen (and sentou) have become a popular way to relax and get clean. Sometimes families go to their town’s onsen together on the weekend. There is usually at least one if not many more onsen and/or sentou in every town. Some people make trips to visit very nice resort-like onsen. Did I mention that massage services, saunas, haircuts, dining, lounging areas and other services are also typically offered? If you pay good money to stay in a traditional Japanese hotel called ryokan, there is typically an onsen.
Just to elaborate a little more. Sentou are more useful, for example, when you are traveling and need to get cleaned up. I use them for when I take road trip and am not staying in a hotel, just in the car or in an internet café. I also used one before when I was camping. They are so convenient and extremely cheap!

The first time I ever went to an onsen was with my Japanese friend in Tokyo when I was traveling around the country for three weeks before actually moving here. Of course I was nervous because you have to be naked in front of strangers (it’s a lot more awkward as a foreigner because I get starred at often when I’m wearing clothes let alone in the nude).  Also, I didn’t know the proper way of taking a bath. Luckily my friend explained everything. I could take the time to explain the etiquette of Japanese onsen, but that’s a whole different post in itself and something you could easily Google.
Now I love onsen! Usually every time I go it’s just full of old ladies haha, so I don’t get that embarrassed. Onsen just feel so good! I love leisurely soaking in all the different types of baths provided. I’ve been in all sorts of baths from ice cold to unbearably hot, flower petal to electrified, jet stream to stone bottomed ones. My favorite are the outdoor ones in winter.

Outdoor onsen (image from Google images
http://www.holisticvanity.ca/japanese-onsen-tour-bathingbeauty/).

Indoor onsen (image from Google images
https://thehealthjunction.wordpress.com/tag/japan).
Recently I found out that there is a huge and very nice onsen like a 10 minute bike ride from my house! Actually I had known about it for a while, but during my spring vacation I decided to go for the first time. I’m definitely looking forward to going again, but the only downside is that many of my students go there too… talk about REALLLLLY awkward. Luckily I didn’t see anyone when I went, but if I do go, I will try to go on a weeknight or something.

Changing topics a bit, one of the most common things I hear when people talk about onsen or see my tattoo is, “Oh, what a shame! You have a tattoo, so you can never go to onsen.” To an extent, that’s true. Onsen that allow people with tattoos to enter are not common. If you have any somewhat large or very visible tattoo on your back or chest, for example, you will probably be asked to leave. However, I know plenty of people with smaller tattoos that get in with no problem, me included. Mine is big, but it’s on my foot where many people aren’t looking. My Japanese friend has a smaller one on his leg, and he goes to onsen and sentou often, too. Here are two tips on how to go to an onsen if you have a tattoo that’s not too obvious. 1) Cover it with a bandage. Mine’s a little too big for a bandage, so I sometimes use gauze and tape and pretend I have an injury or something. 2) Just try to be discreet. Usually about halfway though my time, my bandage gets too soggy and I end up abandoning it. Most people don’t look down at your feet or legs anyway. If you think you can get away with having it uncovered, then you probably can. A trick my friend and I use is to try to walk along the walls so your tattoo isn’t showing as much to the open. When you are in the water, no one is going to see it unless it’s high up on your body.


Hopefully that helps some of you with tattoos, and for those of you without any, just enjoy carefree! Whether you are living here or just visiting for a weekend or a long trip, onsen are something I highly recommend because they’re unique to Japanese culture, feel amazing, and really put out of your comfort zone which I think is a really important aspect of traveling. Any friend I’ve forced to try them has loved it. Just make sure to read up a little on the etiquette before going so you don’t look like an idiot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment