Friday, June 12, 2015

Vegetables in Nara

Towards the end of April, I took a day trip to Nara with some friends. We did some sightseeing, but the main focus was lunch. Nara has always been a magical place for me with the free-roaming deer and traditional Japanese feeling. During this time, the wisteria flowers were in bloom and absolutely gorgeous.

Deer fun.
Wisteria in full bloom.
I want to tell you about this restaurant, though. It’s called Sankouen (杉幸園(さんこうえん)), and it’s less like a restaurant and more like someone’s house. Your room overlooks a pretty Japanese garden, and it feels so unique.

Garden view.
In front of the restaurant.
Greeted by a tanuki, of course.
They specialize in vegetable dishes, and it was one of the most delicate and interesting course meals I’ve ever had. Unfortunately not everything on the menu is vegan friendly or even vegetarian friendly because some fish and fish products are used, but for the most part things are vegan, so you could probably still go and enjoy most of the dishes served. The price is very reasonable. 3,000 yen for eight courses! Let me introduce you to each course:

1)      Peach and soy milk smoothie (forgot to take a picture).

2)      Spring bagna cauda (Italian dish).


3)      Nine colorful plates.


4)      Bamboo shoot pancake with banana sauce.


5)      Hot and sour rice-noodle soup.


6)      Fried onion decorated with vegetables.


7)      Kakiage with ginger rice and clear soup.


8)      Dessert.



I was so full after all of this, and it was like a 2-3 hour ordeal. It’s not often I get to eat a meal like this, so I thought I’d share. Hope you could enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment