Friday, September 9, 2016

Yodogawa Firework Show


Going to firework shows is becoming a summer tradition for me. Japanese fireworks are so impressive! Plus, it’s free! The only thing you must endure is the sheer amount of people. It’s sooo crazy! Oh, and the heat can wear you down pretty bad, too. It’s all worth it in my opinion, though. The shows are usually at least an hour long, and in addition to seeing the amazing display, you also get to see all the girls dressed up in cute yukata.

This year I went to the Yodogawa firework show. We (my boyfriend and I) got there about 3 hours in advance. Usually this is necessary if you want to get a seat. By the time we walked to the viewing area, found a spot, got comfortable, and cracked open our drinks and snacks, we didn’t have to wait long for the show to start.


I have been to the firework show in Kobe, the PL firework show, and the Tenjin Matsuri fireworks, but the Yodogawa firework show was the best in my opinion. I hear the Lake Biwa one is good too, so I’ll probably try to check that one out next year.

So here are the pros and cons of the Yodogawa Firework show. Pros: It’s over the Yodogawa River, and unlike the Tenjin Matsuri fireworks that are also over a river, there aren’t a bunch of trees or things in the way blocking your view, so you can see really well. You are also very close to the fireworks! Definitely the closest I’ve ever been! Other pros are that there are a lot of places to sit. It wasn’t that hard to find a spot. Next, it’s very close to where I live compared to some of the other shows, and the viewing area is accessible by several stations. Going there was pretty easy, and since everyone took different routes, the trains weren’t as crowed like the other shows I went to.

Cons: Holy bugs! You are sitting on grass by a river, so there are obviously bugs. This area is basically untouched throughout the year until this event, so suddenly everyone comes and creates chaos for the bugs, and they have nowhere to go. I had giant…and I mean GIANT…grasshoppers hop at my face. There were crickets, mosquitoes, and spiders. Bring bug spray and lids for you food/drinks. Also, a stick for pushing away the grasshoppers came in handy (we used an umbrella).
Like all the other shows, it’s extremely crowded. Prepare for traveling to and from the station and viewing area to take a while. Also, bathrooms are far and few between. Be careful! Also, there weren’t many places around to eat, so plan on eating somewhere else, or bring a picnic dinner.

Last, there are huge floodlights for safety that light up the whole viewing area. I thought they’d turn them off when the show started, but they didn’t. Shinya and I happened to be sitting right in front of one which was pretty annoying, so my advice is that if you go, if possible, try not to sit right in front of one of the lights.


Still, this show was absolutely gorgeous, impressive, long, romantic, and my number one recommendation thus far. If you are in Japan in summer, firework shows are definitely something you should try to experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment